Wednesday 17 January 2018

Make an extraordinary journey across the centuries with this lovely book.

Today I want to present one of the best books I have read lately. Since the very first page I was enchanted by the poetical flowing of the writing, then, another thing I appreciated, was the many layers of reading that the story offers. First of all the story itself, naturally, very original and fascinating. Secondly, a profound reflection on what it means to be human, to have a soul, a conscience, a sense of morality, and how this in itself is not sufficient to determine the kindness and righteousness of a person. I leave the rest for you to discover, knowing that this book is written so well, so graciously and impeccably that it is sheer pleasure to read, even regardless of what happens within it.



Title:     The Black Hen And The Thirteen Magic Rings
Author: Dan Pollino

When I first read the title I thought it would be a children’s book, or something like a comical fantasy. It turned out to be a story full of wonder, unfolding around three different continents and many centuries. It is more than a fantasy book, its essence resides on the border between reality, spirituality and enchantment. It narrates of an ancient book of magic, of two ancient creatures that live through the centuries, each in its own way trying to fill a void inside, and finally about the two teenagers who will unleash the magic. I do not want to disclose more than this, because this story deserves to be fully discovered by the reader and believe me, there is so much to it. The rhythm is perfect, picking up when the action starts and gently slowing down when it is time for reflection; it is supported by a writing style which is both elegant, neat and poetical, so that you can flow through the descriptions of places and feelings as if you were experiencing them yourself. There is a lot of adventure in this novel, a lot of feeling and emotion. Innocence, treason, courage and loyalty. Ashes, straw, immortality, soul; what will the last choice be?
The storm is approaching, silent and devastating, I can smell it in the air and I miss the cosy safety of my den.

Click here to go to the buying page of the book!